Essential Nutrients for Pregnant Women
Pregnancy is both a gift and a miracle. Science has explanations about how a child is conceived and how a baby grows inside the womb of a woman, but it will always remain a mystery how our bodies are made capable of bringing new life to Earth. Although it is natural for women to bear children, there are still some who could not become pregnant due to different health conditions.
For this reason, we have to treat pregnancy as a very special chapter in our lives. We have to be extra careful with our bodies once we learn that we are rearing another life in our womb. Among the things we could do to keep our bodies in great shape is to get enough nutrients to support our health and that of our child’s.
Here are the most important nutrients which Medcal Pharmacy, a Fertility Pharmacy in New Jersey, has enumerated which we should consume during our pregnancy:
- Calcium. Loading up our calcium intake will help our bodies build stronger bones, as well as that of our baby’s. We need stronger bones to carry another human in our womb. Conversely, our babies would need calcium for the development of their bones and teeth. To get enough calcium, we should eat cheese and sardines, and drink milk and yogurt regularly.
- Vitamin C. With Vitamin C, our bodies could absorb iron effectively. It also promotes healthy bones, teeth, and gums. Thus, we have to consume more sources of Vitamin C like citrus fruits, broccoli, and strawberries when our babies are still inside our wombs.
- Iron. A key nutrient which plays a vital role in delivering oxygen to our babies is iron. Through this essential nutrient, our babies could get sufficient nutrients for their growth and development. Good sources of iron include dried beans, lean red meat, peas, and iron-fortified cereals.
- Vitamin A. All parents would want their kids to have a healthy skin and eyesight. To make this desire come true, we have to load up our bodies with Vitamin A sources like carrots, dark leafy greens, and sweet potatoes.
- Folate or Folic Acid. Folate is a B-vitamin important in the manufacturing of blood and protein. It also prevents the risk of birth defects in the brain and the spinal cord. So eating folate-rich foods like leafy vegetables, liver, legumes, and nuts could be helpful in our babies’ development.
If you are having a hard time getting a sufficient load of these nutrients, you can always ask your doctor which nutrient supplements you can buy from a Fertility Pharmacy in New York. We should never ignore these nutrient needs because at the end of the day, the food we eat and the nutrients we intake are the primary sources of nutrients for our babies.